ETA on Consumer Preview release?

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Hey

Any idea when this will come out? Can the developer preview build be used or is that not a good idea?
Thanks 

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:47 PM

At this juncture, my guess is likely no better than any one else's, especially since Microsoft has issued long ago a gag order on all its employees concerning the Windows 8 release. We all have seen the reluctance for their presenters to answer questions after their presentations - that is no accident. So my opinion: an RTM before Christmas 2012 is only 50-50.

But I have too much new work pending to wait until then. I will be developing on the developer preview as soon all the latest pieces arrive, e.g. the VS 11 beta finally came out last week, and I am also awaiting the betas for the Azure components as well.

- toketeeman

To: toketeeman@comcast.net
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2012 1:15:31 PM
Subject: ETA on Consumer Preview release? [WATWindows8:348132]

Hey

Any idea when this will come out? Can the developer preview build be used or is that not a good idea?
Thanks

Coordinator
Mar 12, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Hi Paul / Toketeeman, 

If you are running Windows 8 Consumer Preview I would recommend that you hold for the updated drop of the Windows Azure Toolkit for Windows 8 -Consumer Preview drop.  You will run into difficulties getting the DP toolkit drop running on CP as the setup and install scripts required modification.

Kind Regards,

Nick Harris

Coordinator
Mar 21, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Hi Paul/Toketeeman - just giving you a heads up that the updated version of the Windows Azure Toolkit for for Windows 8 Consumer Preview is now available.

Kind Regards,

Nick Harris

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Hi Nick,

I got this new version a few days and set to work plumbing it in to my app. Unfortunately I've run in to a problem that I've detailed here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winappswithcsharp/thread/96dbceab-6608-450e-9988-b94a273d8dff/

Would you mind helping me out? It's basically about the response status almost always coming back as "Dropped". The few times it reported "Received" no toast appeared anyway.

Cheers

Paul

Coordinator
Mar 21, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Hi Paul,

I have posted a reply in the msdn forum. Could you please reach out to me directly on nickha@microsoft.com . We can post the solution once we resolve your specific problem.

Thanks,

Nick

Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:54 AM
To: Nick Harris
Subject: Re: ETA on Consumer Preview release? [WATWindows8:348132]

Hi Nick,

I got this new version a few days and set to work plumbing it in to my app. Unfortunately I've run in to a problem that I've detailed here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winappswithcsharp/thread/96dbceab-6608-450e-9988-b94a273d8dff/

Would you mind helping me out? It's basically about the response status almost always coming back as "Dropped". The few times it reported "Received" no toast appeared anyway.

Cheers

Paul

Mar 26, 2012 at 5:20 PM

For anybody finding this later - I resolved the problem when I found that Notifications were disabled in my app's charm menu.